Monday, January 28, 2008

Beowulf assignment 4

Beowulf is accepting of his death rather than bitter or spiteful. Because he believes he lived well, being just and upright, and died for in the cause of defending his people from the dragon, he is at peace in death. "I awaited my destiny well: never did I plot a quarrel, never did I swear an unjust oath. I take joy in this, despite a mortal wound. The Ruler of Mankind will not charge that I murdered a kinsman when my life departs this body." Here he even says that he "takes joy" in this; I wonder how Beowulf's people viewed the afterlife.

It's appropriate that both Beowulf and his great adversary, the dragon, die in battle. There is a sense of general dimishment in this; where Beowulfs fight's were against ancient demons and great monsters, the battles will now be fought amonst men over their land disputes and petty feuds. The messanger bring the news of Beowulf's death predicts war and hardship, saying "Now shall the spear be raised, clasped in hands, many a cold morning; now no sound of harp shall wake the warrior, but the voice of the dark raven, eager over the doomed, speaking to the eagle of how the meals are, how he rifles corpses beside the wolf." Even before his battle with the dragon, Beowulf has begun feel tired in life, saying: "Sorrow is in the home, the wine-hall abandoned, bereft of joy. The riders sleep, warriors in the grave; there is no harp song, no joy in the court. Not as there once was. Comes then from the bed stead a song of sorrow. The house and fields seem too large."

No comments: